Do you have damaged, dry or unruly hair? Strong shampoos and daily blow drying may deplete hair's nourishing oils. Essential oils may be just the rescue you've been looking for. Using them as a part of your hair care routine can breathe new life and luster into your dry hair. They also have the special ability to infuse hair with a burst of natural fragrance!
Oils To Shine and Moisturize
For centuries essential oils have been used for a variety of medicinal and cosmetic purposes. The beauty industry eventually caught on to their benefits and began creating luxurious aromatherapy shampoos, serums & other hair care products all with equally luxurious pricing!
Listed are a few simple inexpensive essential oil ideas we recommend for dry, damaged or fly away hair.
- Sweet Almond soothes and moisturizes the scalp. Slather on hair before you shampoo as a conditioner. Leave on for 10 min - to overnight if you like, then shampoo.
- Chamomile adds shine and softness to hair, and soothes the scalp.
- Coconut oil softens hair and increases shine. Leave on for 10 min - to overnight if you like, then shampoo.
- Geranium essential oil strengthens hair
- Lavender essential oil deep conditions the hair, keeps it shiny, and helps control dandruff
- Moroccan Argon oil moisturizes, nourishes, and provides antioxidants to hair. Leave on for 10 min - to overnight if you like, then shampoo. You can also smooth onto dry ends or frizzy hair for instant leave-on conditioning.
- Rosemary essential oil stimulates the roots, improves hair growth & increases circulation in the scalp.
- Sandalwood oil helps with dry ends, and adds fragrance to the hair
How to Use Essential Oils
You only need to use a few drops of essential oil for outstanding results; mix one or more types in a shampoo, conditioner or oil (for pre-shampoo treatment) or mix the drops into 2 ounces of carrier oil such as Sweet Almond, Argan or Coconut. We suggest these combinations:
- Sweet Almond or Argan oil, Chamomile and Lavender essential oils
- Sweet Almond or Coconut oil, Geranium and Lavender essential oils
After you apply the oil mixture, cover your head in a towel or shower cap. You can either wash out the treatment after 30 minutes or leave on overnight, shampooing out in the morning. Wash out oils completely.
If You Have Allergies
Take note if you have sensitive skin: If you apply essential oils directly to your scalp, they WILL cause irritation. Diluting them is always advisable. Never use them in higher-than-recommended amounts.
If you're allergic to plants such as ragweed, always test the oil on a small area of your skin or hair before use.